Transportation & Packaging
We understand that transportation is a big, environmental challenge. We aim to ship as many quantities as possible by sea, as the environmental impact is a lot smaller than by air. Shipping by air results in 16-17 times more CO2 than shipping by sea. The reason why we cannot fully avoid shipping by air is late production, unexpected delays and the simple fact that we work with leather, which is a natural material that does not always respond to the treatment in the desired way, which may prolong the process.
We constantly aim to keep the quantities shipped by air as low as possible.
In 2018, we shipped approximately 71% by sea and 29% by air.
In 2019, we shipped approximately 63% by sea and 37% by air.
In 2020, we shipped approximately 81% by sea and 19% by air.
In 2021, we aim to ship approximately 85% by sea and 15% by air. Per 1st of May 2021, we have shipped 97% by sea and 3% by air. We aim to maintain the current distribution, but we are aware that the Covid-19 situation in India and international shipping issues may pose challenges.
Packaging is inevitable. Even though packaging materials are not responsible for as big a part of the environmental impact as the production of the product itself, we still want to find better solutions. We need packaging, when shipping the goods from our manufacturers in India to our warehouse in Denmark, and when shipping the goods from our warehouse to retailers or private consumers. We want to do better in both aspects.
Here's the packaging material involved:
- From manufacturers: Hang tags, stuffing, poly bags, desiccants, shipping boxes and tape.
- From warehouse: Shipping boxes, small shipping bags and tape.
On the following list you can see what we currently use, and what we want to replace them with. We already introduced new initiatives, but we are currently researching and sourcing even more:
- Hang tags: We want FSC certified cardboard hang tags with organic cotton strings (See goal here).
- Stuffing: We don't use stuffing in our soft leather goods, only in the products made in our more sleek and stiff quality need stuffing to keep its shape. We currently use inflatable air cushions made of virgin polymers. Please deflate before disposal. We are looking for alternatives including more recycled materials.
- Poly bags: We are currently researching poly bag alternatives made of recycled plastic. Even though we would love to avoid using single-use plastics, using poly bags is a requirement from many retailers and protects the product during shipping and storage.
- Desiccants: To avoid mould during storage and transportation desiccants are needed. All deliveries from our suppliers sent per 1st of September 2021, will be shipped with Mikro-Pak Dri Clay® Kraft bags. They are a 100% natural and plastic-free desiccant packed in Kraft paper.
- Shipping boxes: We are currently researching suppliers of FSC certified cardboard boxes both in India and Denmark.
- Tape: We are currently researching suppliers of paper-based tape for our warehouse.
- Small shipping bags: We ship small items in small plastic bags made of more than 95% recycled plastic instead of the large cardboard shipping boxes. This contributes to a better utilization of space during transportation.